Ahh yes, the concept of Asian foreigners is so NEW that not many people can accept that. Because of my lack of hours, I've been browsing around for jobs and found an opening at a kindergarten. The problem is, most kindergartens want "foreign-looking" foreigners. In other words, they don't want Asians because we blend right in with the Taiwanese! Anyway, I went for a chat with the manager of a kindergarten and he asked how long I've lived in Canada and whether I know Chinese and stuff.... at the end, he told me that he'll have to talk to his school first, and perhaps they'll give me a call for an interview if the school's ok with an "Asian foreigner".... oh, the shallowness of the Chinese people!
So although I only have 9 hours of teaching at my main school (the Joy School), God's been providing me with spontaneous gigs here and there. This past week, I actually worked 18 hours! The other 9 hours were from another school (The Time Language School) because they desperately needed a sub on a short notice... Story is, the boss' father suddenly fell ill and passed away on Wednesday, so she had to suddenly fly off to Taipei and left all her classes to me. Hopefully I'll get to work more with this school in the near future too.... and do pray for her! Her name is Julliard, and I'm sure her family is going through some rough times of grief. *She also has a strange obsession with witches... she has a cartoon witch on her business card... and also some random pictures of witch cartoons in the school. So pray about that too....
On another note, as I was browsing kaohsiung-living (it's a yahoo group for foreigners living in Kaohsiung, hahaha!), I found a post from a Taiwanese girl! She's looking for somebody to help edit her papers for a British graduate exam. Her "papers" were short paragraphs of 150-250 words.... and she paid me for the work too! Her name is Freda.... and she's having her exam today. If she passes, she's planning on leaving the country in August for Britain. I introduced her to Ansy (who's from Wales) and we had lunch together.
*Pray that my encounter with Freda won't stop after the exam.... that Ansy and I will have the chance to bring her to church or a free English Bible Study =)
This weekend I'm going up north to DaShe with Ansy! We're going to visit and stay with Carmen and Rachel, two other Asian Partners of OMF =) I'll post up pictures of our trip for sure =D
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

hey, i mailed a letter to you last week (i think it was last week...) did you get anything yet? hopefully it didn't get lost! XD my dad was saying how i should've used a bigger envelope =.=
ReplyDeleteHow did you celebrate Canada Day?
ReplyDelete