Monday, December 7, 2009

6-months mark

I realized that ever since I've hit the six month mark, I've missed home more... especially now that I'm looking into some grad school for next September. Right now, I have a lot of time on my hands again, and sometimes it's just easier to stay home until work in the afternoon. But I think God's been challenging me on that!

At work, my co-worker, Regina, started going to the Tuesday late-night Bible Study at a fellow Partner's house. It's exciting, especially since she was the one who approached me about Bible Study groups! It'll be her second time tonight... pray that she'll keep coming, especially since she has all the reasons in the world to NOT go, keeping in mind that the study ends after midnight, and after a long day at work. I also got to be closer to some of the other co-workers... they all know that most of the foreign teachers at their school are Christians (we're all Partners). Hopefully we'll have more opportunities to sit down and talk about faith.

Last Saturday I attended a Christmas concert, put on by Taiwan's ORTV (Overseas Radio & Television Inc.). ORTV was founded by Doris Brougham, who came from Seattle back in the late 40s as a missionary. Through ORTV, English-learning radio shows, TV shows, and magazines are published on a regular basis to teach English to the Taiwanese. Many schools use the magazines as a teaching tool, although ORTV is Christian-based!

At the ORTV concert, there were skits, testimonies, and lots of Christmas music. I got the chance to bring two of my Taiwanese friends, Ling and Eve, to the concert. Please pray for them! I know that God must have touched their hearts somehow that night =)I met with Eve for lunch today at the university (located two blocks from my house). Since she lives in the dorm and I live so close to her, hopefully we can meet up more and share our lives with each other.

Christmas is around the corner! I'll be flying out to Hong Kong on December 23, and coming back on January 3. It'll be an interesting trip... and also a chance to see many of my non-believing family members. I can already imagine the conversation we'll have as to why I am here in Taiwan. Also, I'm trying to think of some more creative means to get my students to be more aware of Christmas and the real meaning behind it. My roommate has started an Advent Calendar with two of her classes... all in all, this is a wonderful time of the year to spread the love of Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment