Thursday, January 28, 2010

Students






I've been working at the Joy Language School for seven months now. My branch is a new branch, where we have fewer students and smaller class size. Right now I'm working 12 hours a week at the Joy School, and tutoring another 4 hours outside of classes. Although it's not a lot of hours, it's nice because I have a lot of free time to learn Chinese, meet up with people, and learn a few more guitar chords. To be honest, I believe God arranged this work schedule for me - the number of hours I spend at work is approximately the numbers of hours I spend at UBC when I was an undergraduate. It's amazing how God has been sustaining me too. Since I took off for a week to Hong Kong last month, I was a bit iffy with my finances... but God provided an extra 5 hours per week for me for three weeks (due to the whopping one-month winter vacation of the students). Those hours would also help cover costs for the all-round Taiwan trip during the Chinese New Year week! God is good...
Luke 11:13
"If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

One of my favourite students at Joy is a Grade 4 boy named Edison. At the Joy Language School, students receive English lessons for an hour from a foreign teacher, then another hour from a Taiwanese teacher, with a ten minute break in-between. During that break period, Edison's mother would always come and see her son. I thought this was rather strange and suspected that Edison's parents are probably divorced. I confirmed my suspicion with my co-worker a few days ago, and we believe that precious 10 minute between lessons is when Edison gets to see his mother.

Although Asia seems to be more traditional in values, the family situation is not any better than the broken families in the West. I know many people with broken families in Taiwan. One of the sisters at church used to have a step-mother on her father's side and a step-father on her mother's side, with step-siblings in between it all. It really breaks my heart to hear these stories. People really need Jesus here. Few have experienced His perfect love.

2 comments:

  1. Keep it up and rely on His love... Just as in the song "People Need the Lord"

    ... Everyday they pass me by, I can see it in their eyes. Empty people fill with cares, heading who knows where. On they go through private pain, all the grief they bear. They must hear the word of life, only we can share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing a great job, Iris. Sometimes I just get into just a "missing you" mode because my best friend that I can talk to the most is not here.

    Don't let me to be a hindrance to you serving God, although I do complain and vent at you. You are doing His work, your labour in the Lord is not in vain!

    ReplyDelete