That question seems to be the general feel that I get from people back home. Yeah, I'm an English teacher - but a part-time ministry worker as well.. you can say. So that's one reason why I'm only working part-time to support myself.
Here are some answers to of your questions....
No, all the Partners don't meet up together and walk around sending out Gospel treks.
No, we don't organize reach-out events every week.
It seems to me that a lot of people are more familiar with short-term "jam-everything-into-two-weeks-and-send-them-home-burnt-out" mission trips than longer term ones. When I first arrived in Taiwan, I wanted to get to work in ministries right away. But when you're going to be here for a longer period of time... it takes time to settle in, to pray about what ministries God is calling you to. So things build up gradually, instead of suddenly spiking up and down again.
Here in Taiwan, our primary means of evangelism is through building friendship and relationship with people. In a way, it's not a whole lot of difference compared to evangelizing back home. You meet people, you hang out with them, and talk about spiritual things. This is about discipleship, and not leading people to Christ and then leaving them on their own a week later. I remembered coming back from a two-week Thailand missions trip, thinking that I would still keep in touch with the friends I've made there... it was really tough... and since we never had a very long friendship, the relationships made didn't really last. But of course, that doesn't mean that we didn't make an impact in their lives.
So what do I do when I meet up with Taiwanese girls?
Well... you pretty much do what friends do. We cook meals together, and talk over lunch. We have language exchange, where I will teach English and the girls teach me Chinese. We pray for each other, and let them know that we're constantly keeping them in our prayers. Like... I know, it doesn't sound like "formal" evangelism, but it's about building relationships. It's about asking people how their spiritual lives are... to invite them to Bible Studies and small groups, and to help strengthen the faith of young believers.
And yes, sometimes I do that while we're on a beach, or hanging out for the afternoon. It's a lifestyle of making disciples and showing them Christ's love.
So if you ask, "What kind of missions work do you do every week?".... I really don't know how to answer that. Because we are all called to be witnesses and ambassadors of Christ, no matter where one is. Although I must admit that being in Taiwan, my ministry has been more focused and intentional... but ultimately, we're all missionaries doing missions work. We're all normal people...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I really enjoy reading your blog. I want to know how I can actually talk to you. I haven't talked to you for quite some time.
ReplyDeleteiris!!!!!!
ReplyDeletei've received your email, wrote you an extensive reply but i havent heard back from you!!!!!
WHERE ARE YOU IRIS!!!>!>!>!
IRIS :)
ReplyDeleteSo happy that you are doing better and getting into the mindset of long term ministry...yeah!!!! So excited that you may have company joining you soon.... no, not Alan(not yet anyways...hahha) will see how God works....keep praying.
Hi, Iris. You're bang on with what it means to "spread the Gospel" in Taiwan. Key is focused and intentional. Keep on, sister! Am encouraged at what God is doing through you and in you.
ReplyDeleteyah.. i remember those 2week cram missions. we tried to keep in touch too but they don't really have internet access.. so i'mrelli glad to hear that in taiwan you guys try to keep long lasting relationships with building a good foundation too.all ur stories and experiences make me want to go on missions again. keep up the good work for God =)
ReplyDelete