Sunday, August 9, 2009

Typhoon Morakot

It's been four days since Typhoon Morakot hit Taiwan. School was closed on Friday due to the heavy rain and crazy wind.... so we were all stuck at home. This weekend, I've watched four movies and one documentaries with Ansy as we try to pass the time. We've managed to go out once during the typhoon.... we walked for 15 minutes to where all the Partners live (we're the ones that live slightly out of the area) and hung out there (yeah... walking is the safest, compared to scootering or biking)... some of us ended up taking crazy pictures at home (Kim & Deborah XD hahahaa...), but we had an impromptu karaoke session of Sound of Music. Haha... it was more like a sing-a-long to youtube videos. Yep... that's what the typhoon does to you....

One of my student's mom actually wanted me to go over to her house to tutor on Saturday... I think her mom just wanted to give her kid something to do in his utter boredom. I agreed, since the rain did seem to be tapering off at that point. But when I got out, the wind was REALLY crazy, especially on the main roads. So I prayed for safety and started up my scooter and off I went.... for one block. The scooter ended up spluttering and whining and refused to budge. I guess God decided that safety = home. I ended up pushing the scooter home back and canceled tutor.

Yesterday was better, because the rain finally STOPPED after 48 hours of non-stop DOWNPOUR. We all went to church although it was showering lightly... but it was do-able.

This morning, however, is NOT GOOD. Rain is pouring, school is being closed here and there in Taiwan.... and the thunderclouds have taken over also. Don't know if we have school yet... just waiting for the time to pass before we call the school and find out....
Oh oh oh... I do hope the scooter don't fail on me again... Ansy went to get it fixed yesterday (the poor girl pushed it for a good half an hour to the shop).

Anway...from reading some online forums, I found that the world doesn't care about this typhoon while it was only striking Taiwan... but once it affected China, then it got some coverages. So here are some facts of what's been going on....

- Typhoon Morakot left at least 12 people dead in Taiwan
- it destroyed more than NT$2.1 billion ($64 million) in agricultural production (there goes the rise in food prices...)
- Fifty-two people were missing and 32 injured as of 8 a.m. today
- Morakot dumped more rain on Taiwan than any 48-hour period since records began 100 years ago
- Morakot brought the worst flooding in the last 50 years

3 comments:

  1. How badly is it hit in your region, in regards to flooding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You take care of yourself there, don't me come there earlier! :) keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha alan is so funny =P heard ur coming back in june that seems pretty quick.. and alan willcome spend christmasish time with u? and i heard viv and gloria r coming? in earli 2010? so u won't be lonely for long.

    ReplyDelete